Belisario Porras Museum
Address: Avenida Balisario Porras, Las Tablas, Los Santos
This Museum is located just across from the square that is honoured to be named after this great statesman, on a piece of ground where the house that Porras was born at on 27 November 1856 was erected. Given the great historic significance of this property, the National Assembly of Panama declared this place a National Historic Monument in 1953 and three years later, a large and rectangular, twenty-five meter long and seven meter wide hall was built, with a red imperial tile roof and one single main entrance door.
Its façade is distinguished by this wide main door and the group of eight tall columns distributed in pairs on a long and narrow front porch. A small garden, with the bust of Dr. Porras dedicated to him by the 9 th Liberal Convention, gives this façade a greater attraction.
Belisario Porras Museum opened its doors to the public on 15 January 1959. In its interior there is his cenotaph together with a wonderful portrait, where Porras is wearing the presidential ribbon that he wore on the three occasions that he was President of the Republic of Panama: from 1912 to 1916, from 1918 to 1920 and from 1920 to 1924.
Diplomas, decorations and personal objects belonging to this great liberal leader are exhibited inside wood and glass furniture. Additionally, the iconography of the one-time leader and the most remarkable works made during his presidential administrations is shown on the side walls and through a hundred photographs.